Tuesday 25 March 2014

:: recipe : scroggin slice ::



Recently we had friends from overseas staying with us and we had a zoo trip planned for our little people. In an effort to avoid buying snacks/biscuits laden with unknown processed baddies, I decided (against the wisdom given me to not add anything else to my already-enough-on-it-list) to make some myself. Flicking through mum's collection of recipes, I came across 'Scroggin Biscuits,' a recipe passed on from the mum of a very good school friend of mine. Not only did the discovery of this recipe bring back many treasured memories of spending many adventure-filled weekends on the farm that this lovely family own, but I also spied a note saying 'This can also be made as a slice.' We'd never tried it this way before but, because time was not on my side, I did...and it was delicious!

I often find myself a little disappointed after trying various muesli slice recipes. I probably go too healthy, or maybe it's just the honey that doesn't do it for me. This one has its fair share of sugar and butter, but for its taste I think there's no point trying to substitute those things (unless necessary!). The rolled oats, sunflower seeds, cranberries and dark chocolate over balance the health factor I reckon ;o) It's also very versatile - swap and change the dried fruit, chocolate and flavours and you can make any number of yummy combinations.


Here's the basic recipe, for biscuits or a slice. You can follow the recipe in the photo above, or my variation below!

Scroggin Slice

200g butter softenened
1 1/2c soft brown sugar*
2 eggs
1/4c peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
1c flour
1 tsp baking soda
2c rolled oats
1/2c cranberries or chopped apricots
2 handfuls of chopped up dark chocolate (find someone with big hands! I use Whittakers 50% cocoa)
1/2c sunflower seeds

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
Cream butter and sugar together until light
Add eggs one by one into the creamed butter & sugar and beat together
Add peanut butter and vanilla essence and mix in
You're supposed to combine all the dry ingredients separately in another bowl before adding to the wet ingredients. I'm not great at reading details, so I typically just keep adding them all into the same bowl and it turns out fine!
Line a slice/sponge roll tin with baking paper (or grease if you want to take a risk!) and scrape the whole mixture evenly, smoothing over the top.
Bake for 20 minutes (check after 15 minutes to see how it's going). Should be golden brown and still quite soft to touch. At this point, don't worry if it's too soft - after 20 minutes it should be quite soft and just fine ;o) As it cools it will become more dense. Take it out and leave it to cool before slicing.

Delicious as an anytime snack - especially accompanied with little people and colourful fluffies!



*Today I took the plunge and substituted the brown sugar for 3/4c of runny honey (I hate to take risks for fear of wasting great ingredients like chocolate! But my curiosity got the better of me ;o) ). It worked! It's much more cake-y in texture compared to using normal old refined sugar, but it's almost as delicious and makes the whole thing almost refined-sugar free, if you're keen on that. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I am going to try it - thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm this looks delish! Next time I have to make more muesli bars I think i'll do this as something a bit new and different - shanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha - "find someone with big hands" - love it!!! This looks really yum! Cranberries and dark chocolate...mmmmm!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete